Many people who arrive in Bulgaria fly into Sofia, then immediately go onto their costal destinations, and bypass Sofia. But in doing so miss out on the amazing city. There is so much to do in the city, it’s a shame not to spend a couple of days there at least.
- Alexander Nevsky Cathedral built in 1924 this amazing building is a must-see if you are in the city. It’s believed to be one of the largest Christian churches by volume in the world.
- Amphitheatre of Serdica. Discovered in 2004, the amphitheatre was built in the 2nd-3rd century and remained in use for less than a hundred years, and was abandoned in the 5th century. Discovered when they were digging the foundations for the National electricity board. The whole amphitheatre lies under the main high street, with plans to excavate underneath to reveal
- Sofia central mineral baths. Although we did not visit, the baths are steeped in history. Built in the early 20th, The public baths were used up until 1986, when the building fell into disrepair. But after some restoration, they opened again in 2015. Not as baths, but as the Sophia regional history museum.
- Museum’s Bulgaria’s largest art museums are located in the central areas of the city. The National art gallery, National gallery for foreign art, and the Museum of contemporary art. Also, the National history museum situated in Boyana, which as vast collection of some 650,000 artefacts dating from prehistoric times to modern day era.
- Russian Church. The church was built on the site of the Saray Mosque, which was destroyed in 1882 after the liberation of Bulgaria from Russia. It was built as the official church of the Russian embassy, which is situated next door.
- Also, if it’s nightlife, restaurants and bars you’re after, take a stroll around the Vitosha Boulevard area where you will find plenty to choose from.
This just a small list of what you can see and do in Sofia, click here for much more. We stayed just three nights, but wished we had stayed much longer. We will certainly go back to Bulgaria, especially Sofia. It’s an amazing place and an amazing country.